Friday, August 15, 2008

Bangsar

Today is Saturday so I got up late this morning. Don't need to send Robyn to school today. As I sat at the kitchen table drinking my coffee and having the first ciggie of the day I just got this over whelming feeling of dread. Dread of being jobbless and winding up on the streets as a begger. Now I know that my kids would never let that happen, but the mind is a funny thing in the way that it works, sometimes things pop in unconsiously. I've always had bouts of depression and now that I am going through menopause depression comes more frequently. Tonight I was supposed to meet up with an ex-collegue of mine, so I just smsed her to see if we are still on. I thought going to Bangsar would be fun I haven't been there in ages. Unfortunatly she has to cancel because she has a fever. Oh "Boo Hiss" was looking forward to Bangsar tonight, I have dropped many a leg hairs there. My first job, after my husband died was in Bangsar, in a newly opened day spa. As I have mentioned I am a Beauty Therpist by trade and this day spa is where I perfected my massage. I have fond memories of this day spa as this is were I met my first real friends in Malaysia. We were all women over the age of 40 and the thing that drew us together was alchohol. We all liked to drink, a lot. One of the girls in paticular I was especially close to, has passed away already and I dearly miss her as she was the most fun of all. We would sit for hours and hours after work swigging back beers and bitching about work or anything else that pissed us off. Now I don't know what it is ,but I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to bosses. My boss in this day spa was French and she is married to an English man. They now have many resturants around Malaysia but still only one day spa, right in the heart of Bangsar. So my French lady boss is a drunk. Now I like my drinks but I do not start drinking at 12 o'clock in the afternoon. She'd arrive at the spa after her work out smelling of stale sweat and bad breath, cause she never brushed her teeth until she'd had her shower at the spa. So you can imagine the smell of stale wine and ciggarettes wafting out of her mouth after waking up in the morning. She was always on a diet and excercising trying to loose weight and I felt like telling her to just stop drinking all that wine and she'd drop at least 10 lbs. After her shower she'd head straight down to the resturant and there she'd start in on the wine. When you and your husband own a bar I guess temptation is too great. Not to mention her husband was a real rake and had a pention for Indian girls. That was an going joke around the spa amongst us girls, her husbands latest conquest. Deep down though we did feel sorry for her. She was not a mean woman, just a little stupid on how to run her business and said the most outrageous things to us. I remember the time I hurt my back, she offered to pay for me to have x-rays done, so I do not have any grudges against her, but the things that went on while I was working had us all in stitches. There was the time my friend had the morning shift and when she went to open the spa one morning, found that the door was unlocked, the lights were on and so was the air-con. The pillows on the couch were in a mess. We all knew that when we left the night before that every thing had been turned off and everything was neat as a pin. My friend immediatly called the boss and told her so that we wouldn't get blamed for being careless. Covering our asses so to speak. A little later she came into the spa and gave us all the third degree. We all denied it was us and so she left. Later in the afternoon she came up to the spa half loaded and informed us all she knew who the culprit was but declined to elaborate. After she left we just looked at each other cause we had already decided who the culprit was or at least we speculated, we all figured it had been her husband who had brought up his latest conquest the night before, both had left in a drunken stupor and had left the evidence behind. I say, if you want to cheat on your wife better clean up the evidence. Every now and then she and her husband would go away on retreats to detox. They'd come back looking fresh, she'd have lost a few pounds, acting like a love besotted teenager. It wouldn't last long though. One episode really comes to mind though. She had come up after her workout and had wanted to do her bikini line waxing. Now she could not take pain and she only allowed my friend to do her waxings. My friend was extremely experienced, in fact at one time had had her own salon, and so when the boss requested she do her waxing my friend pulled a face. It didn't take long and afterwards the boss went for her shower. While she was showering my friend came up to me and said that was the worst bloody experience she'd ever had. It seems the boss had smelled like old goats cheese and had love bites on her inner thighs. "Sorry", she had said to my friend, but my husband was a bit naughty last night.", and so we'd started laughing. We were both wondering how her husband could stand to get his face up close in the first place. My boss had a few crazy drunken friends and we got to know them all, and there is another time that comes to mind about the time the company decided to close for the day and have a day for all the employees. They had decided to take everyone go cart racing for the day and afterwards go back to the resturant for food and drink. Drink was always provided and thats why we loved that company. My friend and I had decided not to go, go cart racing,I because I avoid the sun like the plague, so the two of us were told that we'd have to work for that day and could close the spa at 6 pm. So the two of sat there the whole doing nothing. At 6 pm we joined the party and started drinking. By the time we got there everyone was loaded. My friend had a few drinks and left my other friend had left earlier and so I was left behind with the Spa Manager, my boss and her friend. So there we were slugging them back having a grand old time, I got into an argument with the manager and after a while she left. Towards the end of the festivities I was at the bar drinking with my bosses good friend. Now this lady is very nice but that night she was extremely high and it wasn't long after we started talking that they informed us there was no more booze time to go home. So she whips out her handphone and calls her husband to come and collect her. As I was sitting quite close to her I could hear her husband yelling at her on the phone. She hung up and informed me that her husband would not come and pick her up, he told her to get a cab back. Now she was falling down drunk and I felt sorry for her so I took her down to the street and hailed a cab for her and told the driver where to take her. I could not take her because at that time I was not familiar with the roads around Damansara Heights and would have got lost. I am directionally challanged. Nothing really funny happened during this episode that comes to mind now. This lady has 2 handsome sons a handsome husband and some money so I figured her life was pretty ok. I guess appearances can be decieving though because a few months after that night, I started thinking that I had not seen her in a while. So I asked around to see if anyone had seen her. The rumour was that she had left her husband and gone back to England with her female lover. Just goes to show you that you can't judge a book by its cover cause I would never have pegged her as a lesbian in a million years.

No comments: