Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Seat Belts In The Back Seat

Well the Malaysian government is trying to get everyone in the country to use seat belts in the back of the car. After hearing that one I just laughed, come on this is Malaysia where motorcyclists drive around without helmets. I remember 10 years back my mom and 2 of my sisters came to give me moral support after my husband died. They also tried to convince me to go back to Canada as well. So of course like the good daughter and sister I am,I took them around sight seeing. Well they saw a lot of sights disagreed with the food and freaked out everytime we sat at a traffic light. Once the light turned green we were surround by a posse of motorcyclists.They were reving their engines and swarming in and out and cutting in front of everyone. A typical sight in Malaysia. And what about the sight of mother, father, one small kid and a baby all sitting on a motorbike. Now that freaked them out more. In Canada the hospital won't even let you leave with the baby until you can prove that you have a car seat for the little thing. In Canada you must buckle up in the back. So only 4 people allowed in the car. When you get your licence for the first 2 years you must drive with a licenced driver in the car and stay off the main roads. A DUI can get your licence taken away for what is it 1 year. Automatically. Thats probably why most Canadians only have 2 kids, any more then that they'd need to buy a bus. So I know the young Malaysians are not having many kids now a days but there still are those ones that do have 3, 4, 5 hell even 10 kids. So how is everyone going to go shopping? And how are we going to change the Malaysian way of thinking. The first time I came to Malaysia we drove to Singapore from KL which was a 4-5 hour trip back then with at least 7 people in the car.
So what is all this nonsense about buckling up in the back. I just shake my head and laugh.

No comments: