Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fun Times In Bangsar

Last night I got a call from an excollegue whom I have not heard from in ages. So after catching up I decide to sms my two bestest friends and inform them of my jobless state. Manjit immediatly smsed be back and informed me that she is presently in Hong Kong visiting her sister but will be back on Saturday lets meet up for a drink at that old favorite Ronnie Q"s. Now Ronnie's is an old mans bar and since we are old ladies we like to go there and sit outside scarfing back a few beers looking at young mens butts as they walk by. My other friend kat called me this morning, which is a total surprise because kat does not phone anyone. She once told Manjit that she never listens to her voice mail cause it costs money. Now I love these two ladies dearly and we first met at Ozmosis. My first job after my husband died. Another dear friend whom I met there passed away a few years ago, which I have mentioned in one of my earlier blogs. So Kat called and asked what happened and I gave her all the sordid details. She agreed that the exbosses son is rude and I don't have to listen to his shit. Then she said don't worry there are lots of jobs out there. I told her I wasn't interested in going back to the Beauty Industry I've had my fill, instead I would like to do typing jobs at home. After catching up on each others lives I informed her that Manjit and I will be meeting up for drinks on Saturday and I asked her to join us. She said she'd try and informed me if she didn't turn up just carry on. This is nothing unusual as Kat doesn't really drink much anymore unless its free. Kat is now retired and over the years, with her husbands shrewed investments they now have a nice little nest egg. Their house is paid up her car is paid up and both her children are now working. Manjit on the other hand is single taking care of her mother so like me still needs to work. Now the 4 of us girls used to like to go out drinking after work and bitch about work. Many a times we had some really good bitching sessions and always ended with kat giving her advice. I learned a lot from kat in the ways of the working world and am grateful for her advice not all of it wanted. My kids hated that I spent my nights drinking there especially on Saturday nights when the drinking went into over drive and we showed up for work on Sundays with terrible hangovers and full schedules. We always made it to work. There were a few nights when I had to call my kids to come and pick me up cause I was seriously too drunk to drive, so they would arrive in pj's cursing their mother. We live in Klang they had to drive all the way to Bangsar. Two had to come so one could drive my car home. Sometimes after drinking beers on Saturday I would decide I wanted to go to Finnigans. Now during that time Finnigans served free booze to the ladies trying to intice the men to go in and drink. Men normally drink more then the ladies. They hadn't counted on me though. So off I'd go. kat and Manjit normally went home so I normally went with one of the younger girls who worked with us. I do not know what gut rot Finnigans was serving up and by that time I did not care. I'd turn up still in my work uniform and when I think of it now I shudder. That was an ugly uniform. As things started to swing we'd start dancing and that is where I learned pole dancing. It was fun and when your half tanked you don't care what people think. So one night I decided to get on a stool and dance no need the pole which was a stupid thing to do, but hey when your drunk you don't think staight. Next thing I knew was I was lying on the floor with people all staring at me and my friend asking me if I was ok. I do not remember falling I do not remember hitting the floor and I felt no pain. After my friend helped me up we decided to leave before I died of embarassment. I don't really remember the drive home I do remember pulling to the side of the road and puking. The next morning I had to work but when I woke up the next morning I was so much in pain, that I had to get out of bed by crawling on my hands and knees. Needless to say I had to call in sick which I never do. No matter how sick I feel I go to work. So when I called in Kat answered the phone so she knew there was something terribly wrong. "Whats wrong" she said. "I fell and hurt my back can't walk." I said, and so she asked me how I fell. "I slipped and fell in the bathroom." I lied, I was too embarrassed to tell her the truth and if I had told her the truth she would have given my the tongue lashing of my life. When I finally got a chance to look at my butt the bruise was the size of my fist and as black as my computer. Needless to say I never went back to Finnigans again and I was in pain for a month. Not long after I resigned from Ozmosis, not because I hated the job but I needed to control my drinking. The problem with working in Bangsar is there is a bar on every corner and it's just too easy to pop in for a few beers after work. It was a few years later that I finally told the girls what had happened and kats typical reply was are you nuts!!!, and Manjit whenever she sees a pole asks me if I feel like dancing.

No comments: