Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Family Troubles and Bullshit

Last February, after 3 months of being in the hospital my father in law passed away, and as it was only 2 days before Chinese New Year we had to bury him fast cause no one will do it on the first day of Chinese New Year. Now anytime my husbands family gets together there is always some kind of bullshit that goes down and so during his funeral Iwas not disappointed. I was informed about my father in laws decline in the afternoon. As our companys annual dinner was to be held that evening I could not rush to the hospital as I was to give some of the girls a ride to the dinner. My eldest daughter and son both left work so that they could be at the hospital in case the old man died. During the dinner I kept expecting the phone to ring informing of my father in laws death, and so around 11:00pm that night the phone call came and I rushed home. Because I was dressed in red, in honour of the New Year, I had to return home first to change into dark clothing, where by reaching my in laws house at midnight. When I got there the only ones there, other then the bunch that that live in the house, were my 5 children as well as Dawns huband Alex. So we sat there till 4 am when I finally decided to go home and get some sleep. It was decided that Justin and Alex would stay there and keep the fire in the urn burning. The next morning I got up around 9 am and got everyone else up to get ready to go over to their grandfathers house. Just as we were about to leave Justin and Alex came back and my son was fuming. Now as I said before my son does not usually bother with all the bullshit that goes on in that house but that morning he could not tolerate it anymore, and because of lack of sleep he got into a fight with one of his uncles. Now this uncle is borderline retarded and how the family married him off is beyond me. He is a twin and I like to tell my kids that he and his twin brother, were born joined at the head, and after being separated they now both share half a brain. He is the one who wants to be in every photograph taken even though he is ugly as sin. He is the one who pushed all the little kids out of the way so he could be center in the bridal photograph picture during my nieces wedding, and so in the morning he is the one who insisted that he had wanted to take a photograph of his dead fathers body before it had been placed in the coffin. And so, the festivities began. My son had fallen asleep and was awoken by all the yelling and screaming going on, so when he came out of the room he found his aunts all grabbing at this insane fellow trying to prevent him from taking the picture. Now my son is a very conservative guy, so to him this was just wrong, and so he to made a grab for the idiot who by now was screaming at the top of his lungs. My sons intention was to throw him out of the house but the fellow fought back and so my son tried to wrestle him to the ground. The more they fought the more the idiot screamed and thats when the aunts got involved, again,trying to drag Justin away from his uncle. With that he escaped from Justin and ran over to the mattress that the old man had been placed on and proceeded to kick the mattress until the old man almost fell on the floor. They finally managed to get the idiot out of the house and after flinging a few choice words at his aunts, Alex and Justin came home. After my son relayed to me what had happened I couldn't help myself I burst out laughing and still have a tendency to laugh when I think of it. It's actually quite sad really. Since my husband had been the eldest son in the family and he is no longer with us his idiot brother is now considered the eldest son in the family because he was the first of the twins to make his entrance into the world. During the funeral prayers and rituals he performed all the duties of the eldest son. His twin brother turned up, a man whose wife and kids left him and did not tell him where they were going, he has a gambling problem. He is in bad health and has trouble with his knees and so I have fond memories of watching the eldest son of the family getting up off his knees after a prayer session, leaving his brother on the ground struggling to get up. He would head to the joss stick urn as quickly as possible and elbow everyone else out of the way so he could be the first to put his joss stick in the urn because he is the eldest son and kept insisting that his son was now the eldest grandson, when in fact my son is the eldest grandson. LOL

No comments: